Meatless Monday (Morningstar Ribs Review)

Tuesday, June 17, 2014



It's definitely been a while! Today I want to talk about: FOOD! For those of you that do not know, I am a vegetarian and I have been for about 3 years. 

I really want to share some vegetarian products and different ways of cooking that are not too daunting for anyone trying to become or thinking of becoming vegetarian, or for anyone who is just curious about vegetarianism. I know that when I go out to eat or I'm at a friend's house, that my diet can be a little restrictive to myself and others, but you can't let that stop you. If it's something you wanted to do, I think you should definitely do it. Now, I love tofu and fruits and vegetables, but sometimes I like to mix it up. I love food products by brands like Morningstar and Bocaburger; they're tasty, low in calories, low in fat, and they taste a little like meat--or at least I think so, and I like to think of them as a treat. I hope you enjoy my review, I'll be doing these at least every week--and maybe even more so when I'm back on campus :]


Morning Star Hickory BBQ Riblets 

 This is the box that it comes in.


There were two of these frozen packages that came in the box.


I used these wet and dry ingredients to season the ribs.


My cooking process was basically sauteing the ribs in a nonstick pan with the seasonings until they defrosted; they already came with a lot of sauce.


 I ate the ribs with white rice (don't judge me) and salad and it was pretty good.


I bought these just to try them, because I have tried so many morning star breakfast foods, I figured, why not try dinner or lunch? I was also inspired by the fact that we were having a barbecue that day. The ribs did not taste or look too much like meat in my opinion. They needed the extra seasoning because although they came pre-seasoned, they were a little too sweet. I made the mistake of trying to just microwave them with the first package. They tasted like soy meat--which is what they are, but not in a good way. The second time, which is when I cooked them, as shown above, they still did not taste a thing like ribs, but they were better.


Cons

  • Small portion = 2 servings of 4 small pieces of "ribs" each. 
  • Bad value, almost five dollars. 

Pros 

  • Pre-seasoned
  • Low in calories compared to regular ribs
  • Microwavable 
  • Good source of protein


These are definitely not my favorite food that I have bought by Morning Star, but after I gave them some much needed flavor, they were alright. However, based on the quantity, quality, and price I had to give it two out of five. Well, I hope you enjoyed reading that as much I enjoyed writing it--and eating it!

Later,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment